Universal Music Publishing Group Songwriters Sweep 2017 Ivor Novello Awards
Image credit: Cybele Malnowski
Universal Music Publishing Group (UMPG), a leading global music publishing company, and its roster of acclaimed songwriters celebrated eight wins at the 62nd Ivor Novello Awards held at London's Grosvenor House Hotel yesterday. The annual gathering for international songwriting excellence saw UMPG artists collect awards across a range of major categories.
This year’s winning artists include:
- Florence Welch (Florence & the Machine) was presented with the esteemed International Achievement Award for exceptional success outside the UK.
- British singer-songwriter Laura Mvula was named to the prestigious Album Award 2017 for her captivating second album ‘The Dreaming Room’.
- Coldplay won the PRS for Music Most Performed Work category with the euphoric ‘Hymn for the Weekend’.
- Best Contemporary Music award was given to Skepta for ‘Man', which was co-written by UMPG songwriter Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age).
Several UMPG writers were recognized for their creative influence and outstanding contributions to the songwriting craft. Honorees included:
- Celebrating an era of exceptional talent, composer Nitin Sawhney won the Lifetime Achievement award.
- Gary Numan was awarded The Ivors Inspiration Award for inspiring the creative talents of others.
- Soul legend Bill Withers received the PRS for Music Special International Award for his outstanding career and major influence on the British music industry. The honor was presented to him by Parliament Funk icon George Clinton.
- Britpop icons Pulp were awarded the Outstanding Song Collection award for their renowned body of work.
Applauding the artists’ achievements, UMPG Chairman and CEO Jody Gerson said, “Today's success for UMPG at The Ivors recognises the incredible calibre of songwriter talent and depth within our roster. For these songwriters and composers to be recognised by their peers is both thoroughly deserved and a reflection on how we have successfully positioned UMPG as the premier home for the world’s greatest songwriters. Congratulations to all of our winners and nominees."